Loading...

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu and may include:

  1. Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness
  2. Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains
  3. Sudden dizziness when standing up
  4. General lethargy
  5. Vomiting
  6. Unconsciousness

What to Do?

  1. If anyone in your house has any of the symptoms outlined above get fresh air immediately, then go to your doctor or accident and emergency department and ask to be checked for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
  2. Stop using the appliance immediately and do not use it again until it has been checked by a registered installer or a qualified service agent.
  3. If you find a person ill or unconscious and suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning, ventilate the area immediately by opening windows and doors. Call 999.

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Carbon Monoxide (also known as CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless poisonous gas and is a common yet preventable cause of death from poisoning worldwide. Approximately half of the deaths from unintentional CO poisoning result from the inhalation of smoke from fires. Other significant causes are vehicle exhausts and deaths in industrial/commercial settings. On average between 1 and 2 people die each year in Ireland from unintentional CO poisoning in the home in incidents related to domestic heating or other fossil fuel installations in the home (i.e. excluding the inhalation of smoke from fires).The incomplete combustion of organic fossil fuels such as oil, gas or coal is a common environmental source of CO and is responsible for many cases of non-fatal unintentional CO poisoning.

In normal conditions the combustion process (the addition of oxygen) will result in carbon in the fossil fuel, combining with oxygen in the air, to produce Carbon Dioxide (CO2), the same substance we exhale when we breathe. However, if there is a lack of air for the combustion process or the heating appliance is faulty, Carbon Monoxide can be produced.

When CO is inhaled into the body it combines with the blood, preventing it from absorbing oxygen. If a person is exposed to CO over a period, it can cause illness and even death. Carbon Monoxide has no smell, taste or colour. This is why it is sometimes called the "Silent Killer".

Carbon Monoxide alarms can be used as a backup to provide a warning to householders in the event of a dangerous build-up of CO. Check that the Carbon Monoxide alarm complies with the EN 50291 standard.

CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR REGULAR INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE OF APPLIANCES, VENTS, FLUES AND CHIMNEYS.

For more information please visit http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/

Need Assistance? Call us on +353 (0) 21 4963749

Get in Touch

If you have a query or need information about our products & services, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Do you have natural gas or bottled/bulk gas?

Leave this field empty

Our Location

 Cork Gas,
FORGE HILL BUSINESS PARK,
CORK,
TX12 X625

 +353 (0) 21 4963749
 info@corkgascentre.ie
Get Directions
RGI
ILPGA
Calor Gas
Weber
Valor
Kohlangas
Flavel gas fires
Campingaz
Dimplex
Portway Stoves
Faber
Go System
DRU Fires
Nu-flame
Verine gas fires
Broilking
© 2019 Cork Gas | Built by Granite Digital